Monday 4 April 2011

Reflective Time Management

My everyday-time stresses are usually caused by having too much work to do in a given amount of time, or by using available time ineffectively. One critical aspect of effective time management is the discipline of analyzing how i utilize my time.
Below are a few practical I use to help me reflect on how I spent my days.
Did I start my day with a clear plan on how I would use my time during the day? Did I prepare a to-do list and assign priorities to tasks on the list? Did this plan give me a sense of control over my time?
Did I work on the most important tasks at times when I tend to be most focused and productive?
Did I concentrate on my priorities? Did I feel rushed? How much unplanned time did I spend on pressing problems that demanded my immediate attention or added little value in the context of my goals?
Did I examine my schedule and priorities before committing to new assignments?
Was I effective with the use of my time or was I just efficient in the tasks I completed? Did I do the right things to meet my organisations, team’s and personal goals?
How will my accomplishments help me progress towards my short-term and long-term goals?
Did I delegate responsibilities and tasks well? Did I use my associates (Adviser, administrative assistants, subordinates, subject experts, and other resources) effectively?
How well did I use my transportation-times: time when waiting for the lecturer time during the train-commute to work, uni etc.?
What interruptions and time-wasters did I encounter? Did I attend unimportant meetings or get non-critical telephone calls and email? How could I have avoided these time-intrusions?
Did I spend too much time deliberating over minor decisions?
Did I spend enough time with family and friends? Did I spend enough time on my fitness, leisure and spiritual activities?
Did I accomplish everything I had hoped to accomplish? How many tasks do I carry forward to tomorrow’s to-do list?
Did I complete a list of things to do for tomorrow and assign priorities to them? Did I leave my workplace, desk and other personal spaces organized?

All this i consciously and might uncousiouly think about it, it goes on and on 

2 comments:

  1. It goes on and on, but how to you organise yourself to ensure you achieve your aims and objectives? What planning tools exist to help you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well there are three ways in achieving your objectives.
    . Diary
    . Planner
    . Note book phone based

    On some daily basis i realised that no matter what i have written on my diary to accomplish i never get some done and i struggle with that a lot.

    i had to forcefully reflect back on Alan's sheet planner and based on the way its been laid out i found it useful despite i personally thought it wouldn't work out for me.

    Till this day i tend to use if but not that often. Then my brother showed me something whihc was very useful.

    I have a sony erickson phone in which it has a note book in this notebook am able to write down as much as i want and if i needed to complete or get any work done urgently.

    After writing down all that is needed all i have to do is project the task on my phone screen.
    in this case whenever i get a text or phone call or want to browse on my phone all the task which i needed to get done stares right in my face and i have no choice to get them done because if i don't my mind aint at rest and i would certainly feel awkward.

    ReplyDelete