Saturday 15 October 2011

Award Title



I think I have always known what my award title would be from the beginning of this module and due to the change of careers I have had and I have known what area I wish to develop my current knowledge in which is in a five star customer service field.
The award title I seek is BA HONS WORK BASED LEARNING PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE in Design.
The cause for my rationale award title is because my background has always been in design but not only in a design field but a field that involved focusing on the customers needs at all time and making them have a warm welcoming experience.
As a person or a candidate I know am able to contribute to the society by demonstrating proficiency in all core design including presentation, internal external communication with people, meeting schedule and task preparation and exceeding target.
This all came due to the experience of various field I have worked in and grew such as being an event supervisor manager and freelancing as a designer and working as a private butler at a top end hotel (St Pancras Renaissance). I have executed events, worked in executive lounges and delivered a tremendous face-to-face service.

With in the high end various field I have been whereby I gained valued experience, I noticed that the fields have something spectacular about them be it design in terms of service, appearance, communication I have noticed that I played a part in it not just by looking or by starring but getting involved in task aiding creating an experience whereby the guest are filled with so much wonder.

Whatever task am given I tend to find my own style related issue to resolve my questions although in the design world their ain’t no right or wrong answer as long as your able to deliver what’s needed and make the customer happy they will be relieved and good to go and certainly come back again to gain another valuable experience because of the relationship and the experience you created for them to take away at first.
I also chose my award title because I decided working in a graphic design firm won’t be enough for me I needed something more I wanted to engage take part of a role make a qualitative experience on a customers life which I did when I worked in St Pancras Renaissance hotel (known as Marriott hotel) I created and made an experience for the executive lounge guest.

Ever since I worked in St Pancras hotel I was taught a few history. Looking at Scotts work I remembered when google celebrated his 200th. It was an overwhelming feeling for me to see St Pancras published on the google image and I felt that I took part in it.  Scott had taken a great interest in medieval gothic architecture design since his childhood; the revival of the Church of England enabled him to apply this to the design of new churches.

Perfect practice makes perfect and this occurred to me that Scott delivered a phenomenal design which in this decade grabs the attention of many people both outsiders and insiders. And today it’s being used for business to satisfy customers.
And I as a person took part in it by creating the experience to guest five star flagship standards I had to make sure I was ahead of the guest needs and urges. Scott had accelerated his achievement of goals in ways and I could apply that to myself due to the competitions, experience I have attended and gained I had also learned and reached goals, which I never thought, would be useful till today for my own use.
Be it retail in a fashion store, design store, event venue or five star hotel there are different types of design that creates the atmosphere of the stores, shops or venue and in that field which people work in they create an experience for outsiders or the public. I can testify say that am part of those who take part in creating experiences in my chosen field.

Considering all of the above I believe that the award title I seek has solemnly justified by my past experiences, my present and research and for my future aspiration goals.
Below is a link to his full story

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2011/07/13/sir-george-gilbert-scott-at-200-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-victorian-architect-115875-23267939/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Akin - I think it's great that you have a clear sense of wanting to pursue Graphic Design. You are clearly very passionate about design, which has come across from the descriptions of where you work at the hotel. For me..the big question has been whether to go down a line of inquiry that is more about improving my craft, or....whether to pick something more practical (ie. about how to actually get more work etc.)

    Do you feel that way too? I'll be interested to read your questions as they develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a really good question. one of the question that arises is that would i ever get tired of graphic design , because in this day and age graphic design is broad as for me as a person am more traditional based when it comes to graphic design in which in this case the hotel shows it or has it or its even displayed due to its decoration and its making.

    but i know we live in a world whereby technology had changed everything and has taken away tradition based design.
    in fact in the design world we dont tend to look at the the ast of what has worked world and build and recreate from the past we tend to think of something new things this and that basically we aint focussed anymore.

    so back to your question in regards to that if you have a feeling of something or about it stick to it make it work rather than looking and looking. sometimes the hardest things bring out the best in us.

    so i reckon you should improve ya craft and and yes if you feel the need to do something practical imply that to yourself as i said the world is changing to something dynamic who know if you would come across someone that would have what they are looking for through you.

    i hope i answered your thoughts well its my opnion.

    ReplyDelete