Monday 7 February 2011

Reflective Writing task

I was ambitious in most things i do or had interest in, fields like singing, acting, dancing, nursing, and drawing (art), funny enough where i come from my parents never believed in such things, 
instead my dad would suggest the army while my mum would go for lawyer, banker or doctor.
I just thought they never had faith in me to do well but little did i know that it was just an african mentally thought or desire which was stuck in there heads even to my grandparents.

As time pass by i kept on doing what i loved best which as art, i could draw and draw and draw, all this was pointless to my african little continental community, it felt appalling boring and unacceptable.
so having done this on my way to a show with my dad, he said with a droughtful facial expression saying if you want to be an artist so be it, 

the tone of his voice dropped like the sound of a tape which has been wired in the tape player, i just knew he wasnt too happy. I carried on believing that this art talent would get me somewhere.
i had a few sessions after school with my art teachers, we would go on for hours, sketch etc

then getting into college there were few lessons on art which i soaked myself into until i met the word Graphic design. I realised that Graphic Design is a form of communication in which visual information is used to convey a message. Unlike fine art, it is normally used for commercial purposes, to convey a specific and persuasive message to a large audience.

So in this case I was going back and forth continually mixing art and graphic together, although my work became so effective due to the strong skills I had from the art background so mostly when I design for a client even at this present moment my work becomes so effective and eye catching

Due to the fact that I have practiced and gone over and over my interest by taking few classes, attending sessions and then progressed unto doing graphic design I can now say I successfully design for clients and family and friends in which all are paid work also I have enter few competitions whereby I have been nominated, I was also given second place in the LINKIN London poster competition.

As a candidate I believe am still learning and absorbing information’s off the big bad wide world. Its competitive and as a designer I tend to go back have little input on certain work I have done I tweak and change add and subtract but as far as am concern decision determines direction

1 comment:

  1. A really interesting post. But I think that we must not confuse personal feeling with critical reflection. Critical reflection on our professional activities is about understanding the contexts, issues and relationships more clearly so we can operate more effectively. There is lots of complexity and skill in critical reflection, but at its core I would suggest is an 'orientation' that demands that we subject all comments, situations, phenomena in its broadest meaning, to critical questioning and thinking. This is ESPECIALLY important when it comes to our own thinking.

    ReplyDelete